This option in advanced practice nursing prepares students to be nurse practitioners in:
Special emphasis is placed on the delivery of care to vulnerable populations in a changing health system. The nurse practitioner program consists of core nurse practitioner courses, along with specialty courses that are applicable for each individual program. Each specialty includes supervised clinical hours. The number of clinical hours required ranges between 540 and 720 hours depending on the specialty. Graduates of the program are prepared to take national certification exams in the nurse practitioner area of specialty.
- Specialty advisors from the graduate faculty will assist students in developing individualized programs of study and in monitoring progress toward program completion.
- Each program may be taken on a full or part time basis.
- The total number of credits required varies depending on the clinical specialty.
- Graduates of the program are prepared to take national certification exams in the nurse practitioner area of specialty.
The nurse practitioner programs prepare students to achieve the Core Competencies for Nurse Practitioners (National Task Force on Nurse Practitioner Education, 2006). These represent the entry into practice competencies upon graduation from a nurse practitioner educational program and can be found at http://nonpf.com/associations/10789/files/DomainsandCoreComps2006.pdf.
Competencies are classified into seven major domains including: management of patient health/illness status, the nurse practitioner-patient relationship, the teaching-coaching function, professional role, managing and negotiating health care delivery systems, monitoring and ensuring the quality of health care practice, and culturally sensitive care.
- Download MS NursingCAS Instruction
Applications to the Office of Graduate Education for Fall 2014 admission will be accepted beginning September 1, 2014
- Applications to NursingCAS 3.0 will be accepted beginning October 15, 2014
- Submission of YouTube video also begins October 15, 2014
- Deadline for submission of all documents is April1, 2015.
- Admission Requirements ( MS)