Nursing is a profession that offers multiple and exciting career tracks. Nurses can choose to stay at the bedside, work in the community, serve in the board room, teach others, or do research. There are various nursing specialties ranging from working with a variety of populations across the lifespan, from neonates to the elderly.
- Post-master’s certification in additional specialty areas
- Board certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Doctor of Nursing Practice degree
- Philosophy Doctorate in Nursing degree
Despite the recent fluctuations in job opportunities for nurses, the profession experiences continuous fluctuation in supply and demand. Given the aging of our population, expanded access to healthcare offered by the Affordable Care Act, and age of the current nursing workforce, it is anticipated that the demand for nurses will exceed capacity in all specialty areas, across the lifespan, and in settings from acute care, outpatient care, home health, and the community.
The program is designed to facilitate veteran student success in the nursing program from admission to graduation and beyond. The program aims to increase the number of BS prepared nurses in Hawaiʻi, improve employment opportunities for veterans, and provide support services. Veteran students participating in the Veterans to Nurses program may enroll in any of the UH Mānoa Nursing pathways. Veterans with military medical training and experience may be able to receive academic credit towards completion of a nursing program with the goal to decrease time to graduation.
- A dedicated academic advisor, who is a veteran.
- A curriculum that is tailored to veteran student needs and gives credit for military experience and education.
- Learning resources and nursing exam preparatory courses.
- Social activities with student veterans.
- Nursing faculty who are familiar with the military and needs of student veterans.
Active duty service members and veterans are eligible for the Veterans to Nurses Program. Active duty service members from the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy are eligible. Student veterans must have been honorably or generally discharged from the military to participate.
- Active Duty
- National Guard
How to Apply
- If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, review the pathways available for the Bachelor of Science Degree.
If you have a bachelor’s degree in another field, review the Graduate Entry Program in Nursing Program pathway.